March marks Pet Poison Awareness Month, a crucial time to remind pet owners about the dangers lurking in common household items. Our beloved pets are curious by nature, often leading them to explore places they shouldn’t. This curiosity can sometimes put them at risk of ingesting toxic substances. At Paw Pet Pantry, we believe in the importance of educating pet parents on how to prevent these dangerous situations and what to do in case of an emergency.

Common Household Toxins

Several everyday items can be hazardous to our pets. It’s essential to be aware of these potential poisons:

  • Human Foods: Chocolate, xylitol (found in sugar-free gum and candies), grapes, raisins, onions, and garlic can be toxic to pets.
  • Medications: Human medications, including over-the-counter drugs and prescriptions, can be extremely harmful. Always keep them out of reach.
  • Houseplants: Some plants, such as lilies for cats and sago palms for dogs, can cause severe health issues if ingested.
  • Cleaning Supplies: Many household cleaners contain chemicals that can be dangerous to pets. Ensure they are stored securely and use pet-safe products whenever possible.
  • Pesticides and Rodenticides: Products used to kill insects or rodents can also be fatal to pets if ingested.

Prevention Tips

Preventing pet poisoning is all about proactive measures. Here are some tips to keep your pets safe:

  1. Store hazardous substances out of reach: Ensure all toxins are securely stored in cabinets or shelves that your pets cannot access.
  2. Use pet-safe products: Opt for cleaning supplies and insecticides that are safe for pets.
  3. Educate your household: Make sure everyone in your home knows what items are dangerous to pets and the importance of keeping them out of reach.
  4. Keep an eye on your pet: Supervise your pets as much as possible, especially if they’re prone to chewing or eating things they shouldn’t.

What to Do in Case of Poisoning

Despite our best efforts, accidents can happen. Knowing what to do in case your pet is poisoned can make all the difference:

  1. Don’t panic: Stay calm and assess the situation.
  2. Remove the toxin: If it’s safe to do so, take away the poisonous substance to prevent further ingestion.
  3. Contact your vet or poison control: Immediately call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. They can provide you with specific instructions.
  4. Follow professional advice: You may be instructed to bring your pet to the vet immediately. If so, bring any packaging or remnants of the toxin with you.


Pet Poison Awareness Month serves as an important reminder to all pet owners to stay vigilant and proactive in preventing pet poisoning incidents. At Paw Pet Pantry, we’re committed to the well-being of your furry family members. By spreading awareness and providing education, we can all contribute to a safer environment for our pets.

Remember, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Let’s make this March a month of awareness and action to protect our beloved pets from harm.

Comments are closed